Indoor air quality plays an important role in your health and your family’s health. You probably spend more time breathing the air in your home than anywhere else. Unfortunately, in our homes today air quality is not always great. Contaminants in the air can trigger allergies and illness, but ultraviolet, or UV, light can help you clean up your indoor air.
There May Be More Pollutants in Your House than Outside
It may surprise you to hear that your home’s indoor air may be more polluted than the air outside. The problem is a matter of circulation. Most homes today are well insulated and have high-quality windows. This is great for heating and cooling your home efficiently and not wasting energy, but it also means that your indoor air doesn’t get circulated with outside air. As a result, contaminants build up and have nowhere to go. They just circulate throughout the home.
UV Light Can Reduce Allergy Symptoms
There is a way that you can eliminate some of those contaminants without sacrificing energy efficiency: UV lights. Ultraviolet light is high energy light that kills microorganisms. Many of the common allergens you have in your home, like dust mites, can be destroyed with this kind of light. Dusting and keeping your home clean only eliminates allergens from surfaces. They are still in the air. You can’t reach them in the air with your dust cloth, but UV light can.
UV Light Can Protect You from Mold
Mold is another major health issue for indoor environments. Exposure to mold spores can trigger allergic reactions, ranging from mild to severe. Exposure over time can even cause chronic lung conditions. UV light easily kills mold spores in the air so that you and your family do not breathe in this toxic fungus.
UV Light Kills Germs and Keeps You Healthy
During cold and flu season, germs are everywhere, even in your indoor air. You can clean and disinfect surfaces, but with bacteria and viruses in the air, you are still vulnerable to getting sick. UV light kills those pathogens in the air.
The air you breathe in your home could make you sick, but UV light can help. And you don’t have to sit under a UV light to get the benefits. You can have the lights installed inside ductwork or directly next to your furnace or air conditioning unit. In these locations the light kills contaminants before they ever make it into the air in your rooms.
If you think the quality of the air in your home could be improved, contact us today. Our professionals can talk to you about UV options for your home.